Thursday, May 29, 2008

Homebrew Blogging Day #1 (I remember when I started homebrewing)

Hi All,

First off I would like to thank Adam for starting the Homebrew Blogging day. I think that this is a great idea. I would like to see be a great learning tool to grow in the awesome hobby of home brewing.

This months topic "I remember when I started homebrewing" is a good way to start HB blogging day. I am really interested in reading about how and why everyone started home brewing. For me it was actually a 2 part process. About 5 years ago I found a Mr. Beer kit at a garage sale and I was so excited to try and brew beer. Lets just say it didn't turn out very well and I gave up on it before I really got started. Over the next few years I sort of got away from beer and wine had become my drink of choice. I never really thought I would homebrew again. I was in a wine tasting phase where I just want to try as many wines as I could and beer just fell to the wayside.

Fast forward to Oct. 05 and our trip to Europe (Italy,Germany, and France). I was figuring on tasting some of awesome wines and maybe a few beers in Germany but that is not how it happened. I had re found beer with the first beer I tried in Munich through the last beer I had in Paris. I now wanted to try any and all beers I could get my hands on. So over the next few years I probably have tried a few hundred different beers in many different styles and beer had become my passion. So what could I do to expand and learn more about my passion. Make it myself.

On Jan. 19th 2008, using a really beer kit that I got for Christmas, I made my first beer an all extract Amber Ale. I was so worried when I started that I was going to fail again but it turned out awesome. I had done it I had made my own beer. I was so psyched that I went out and got an IPA kit (this time with specialty grains) and again it turned out great. I was turning in to a home brewer. Since Jan. I have brewed 5 batches and have 2 more in the works. Home brewing has allowed me to learn so much more about beer then I could every really know then by just drinking it. I am learning how different hops taste, how yeast affects beer character, and how to be really meticulous at cleaning and sanitizing. It has opened up a whole new world for me in my passion for beer. Everytime I try a new style of beer I try and think about what is in it and if I can make something like it. I know I will be brewing for a very long time and I can't wait to brew many more batches and learn many more techniques.

See you all next month!!

1 comment:

Smith said...

Interesting post!! Well, I got a beer kit from Mr Beer on last Christmas.