Thursday, June 26, 2008

June - Fermentation Friday

Hi all,

Welcome to Fermentation Friday!! I would like to start off by saying thanks to Travis at CNYBrew for hosting this month. This months topic "What is the craziest concoction you ever came up with, on the fly or prepped, to brew with" was a rather difficult one for me as I don’t have much to say on this topic but I wanted to stay involved and participate. I haven’t been brewing that long so I haven’t been that wild in my brewing. I have been rather conservative. So far the 2 wildest brews out of 6 total have been a Blood Orange Hefeweizen and a Honey Amber Ale. The Hefe recipe I got from Extreme Brewing (the book) and the Honey Amber was a kit from Midwest Supplies. I know wild an already created recipe and a kit. What can I say I am still learning!!

Over the last few days I have been thinking about what would be cool to brew with and I came up with ginger. I think a ginger IPA or a ginger wheat would be awesome. After my next two planned beers I think I am going to try and use ginger in my beer. For those that are wondering my next 2 planned beers will be and ESB and Winter Warmer. The warmer will be a little wild as I will be brewing with cinnamon, clove, and coriander. I am looking forward to playing with these spices.

I am really looking forward to reading all the wild brewing posts. Hopefully it will give me some ideas on what I can do next or use it as a springboard to other wild ingredients. Thanks again to Travis at CNYBrew.com for hosting this month’s Fermentation Friday. There should be some good reading. Talk to you next month.

Matt

2 comments:

Bryon said...

sounds like we have some similar goals... I want to make a hard ginger ale, and maybe a ginger and wasabi brew to pair with sushi...

blog.homebrewbeer.net/

David said...

Matt,

The Blood Orange Hefe sounds delicious. As for your playing with Ginger. . . We at Muckney did a Ginger-Sesame Red Ale that basically ruled and could potentially be the best beer ever created by man (slightly overstated, but you get the point).

A couple tips on Ginger: Use fresh in the boil, and some sterilized candied ginger in secondary for the nose.

Good luck, and let us know how the ginger-experiment turns out.